SURREY HOUSE KINGSTON
Thank you for visiting our consultation website.
The Surrey House site consists of a vacant poor quality office block with shops on the ground floor, the Bo Concept store and the Hippodrome.
We are proposing to replace these buildings with a new professionally run and managed residential scheme, offering high quality and long term accommodation for those who want to rent. The new building would comprise two-storeys of high quality retail floor space, with homes above, private communal gardens for the new residents and new public open spaces.
At the beginning of the summer we held our first public exhibition on these proposals and also consulted with Kingston Council, Historic England, Design South East, the GLA, local residents and business groups. As a result of this consultation we have made a number of changes to improve the design of our scheme.
The main changes include:
- Creating 317 new high quality homes for rent, rather than to buy, with one central residential entrance, an impressive lobby and lounge area, accessed off St James’s Road.
- Pushing back the building line on the corner of Eden Street and Brook Street creating clear views of the Old Post Office along Eden Street.
- Creating a ground floor colonnaded space on the Eden Street and Brook Street corner, improving the building’s relationship with the Old Post Office opposite and creating a flagship entrance to the new retail space.
- Pushing back the building line further on the corner of Eden Street and St James’s Road, improving the setting with the United Reformed Church, its alignment with Eden Walk and increasing the amount of public space.
- Creating separated roof ‘pavilions’ to replace the previous solid set back 8th and 9th floors.
- Adding an additional lift core, improving residential access to the apartments
- Improving the public realm, including changes which allow for the future pedestrianisation of Eden Street and creation of Eden Square, proposed in the Council’s Eden Quarter development brief.
- Adding a new communal roof terrace for residents.
- Including seating, outside dining facilities and a children’s play area, in the large south-facing residents’ garden.
- Removing the through-route to the rear of the site and adding a new landscaped deck which will screen the service yard at the back of the scheme.
- Maintaining 36,000 sq ft of flexible retail space, over two storeys, to complement and extend the retail circuit in the town centre.
A second public exhibition is taking place at Surrey House, 34 Eden Street, Kingston-Upon-Thames, KT1 1ER, to display these changes in more detail on:
- Thursday 2 November, 5pm – 8pm
- Saturday 4 November, 11am – 2pm
If you were unable to attend either of these events, you can view all of the information displayed by clicking here.